FAQs for Chaplaincy Inquirers

Must I be Reformed and Presbyterian?– You must be a member of a PRCC-related denominational church.

What denominations are those?​

The Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church – The Korean American Presbyterian Church – The Orthodox Presbyterian Church –The Presbyterian Church in America – The Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America – The Korean Presbyterian Church in America  (Kosin) – United Reformed Churches in North America

How do I become  military chaplain? – There are two ways to become a chaplain:

    • One, be a full-time seminary student and explore the chaplaincy as a 2 Lieutenant (2LT) Chaplain Candidate (CC). Then, once you get your MDiv and ordination, you apply to become a Chaplain.
    • Two, Get your MDiv and ordination, then apply directly to be a Chaplain.

How long is the process? There are two applications: the military and the ecclesiastical. The whole process can take anywhere from 4-12 months or more. The two apps eventually meet at the Chief of Chaplains office where the applicant goes before a selection board.

Can I get on Active Duty quickly? Understand all Services want post-seminary, ordained experienced applicants…so a CC must plan on being a pastor after seminary for @2 years. This could affect your Active Duty aspirations due to age restrictions. The Reserve Components have liberal age minimums (@45).

What are the next steps if I am interested?

    • Give me a call!
    • Decide on a Service

For CCs:

    • Ensure you are a member of a PRCC-related church
    • Seek to come under presbytery’s care.
    • Decide if you want to be a Candidate or wait until complete seminary and ordination.
    • Fill out the PRCC application.
    • Find a Service recruiter and fill out their military application

 For Pastors:

    • Consider both Active and Reserve components
    • Start filling out the PRCC application found on our website www.prcc.co
    • Speak with a Service recruiter

How do I become a civilian chaplain (hospital, hospice, business, nursing home, prison, police, fire, sports, etc)?  Basically, an MDiv and ordination is required. Some of these chaplaincies require an endorsement, some don’t. This “Professional Chaplaincy” is a growing area and ought to be considered as you pray about your future. You might want to email our Civilian Chaplain Coordinator, Michael Stewart, at mstewart@pcanet.org.

This should get you started!

Jim Carter
Chaplain (COL) USA (Ret)
Executive Director, PRCC
MNA Chaplain Ministries Coordinator

Updated on July 9, 2020

Was this article helpful?

Need Help?
Can’t find the answer you’re looking for?
Contact MNA