Scholarships supported by designated gifts to The PCA Unity Fund are offered to minority candidates for ordination as Ruling Elders or Teaching Elders. MNA provides additional General Fund support to provide for scholarships to other minority individuals who may not be candidates for ordination.
The scholarships are available to any minority individual recommended by the church session and seeking to serve on the staff of a church in a support role where advanced education will be beneficial to the church, its community, and the Kingdom; although this list is not exhaustive here are some examples individuals seeking to serve the PCA may consider: Children’s Ministry Director, Worship Leader, Women’s Ministry Director, Community Outreach Director, and positions at PCA Agencies and Committees.
Can a Nominating/Sponsoring Body nominate a minority individual not seeking ordination in the PCA each year they are in seminary?
Who completes the application?
The PCA Unity Fund Seminary Tuition Scholarship Application for Minority Individuals Seeking Non-Ordination Support Staff Roles in the PCA must be completed by the Nominating/Sponsoring Body Representative. The Nominating/Sponsoring Body may be a PCA mission or church. The minority individual who may not be a candidate for ordination in the PCA may not complete and submit the application for review.
What are the responsibilities of the Nominating/Oversight Body?
The Nominating/Oversight Body sponsoring the minority individual who may not be a candidate for ordination in the PCA will designate a representative to complete the application.
The Nominating/Oversight Body agrees to regularly review the minority individual who may not be candidate for ordination in the PCA in the following areas:
- Growth in grace.
- Commitment to Serving on the Staff of a PCA Church or PCA organization in a Support Role.
- Contact The PCA Unity Fund Chairman and communicate, if the minority individual candidate who may not be a candidate for ordination is not progressing in the above areas and work out repayment of the scholarship award.
How are funds disbursed, if a minority individual who may not be a candidate for ordination is approved for a scholarship award?
- The Nominating/Sponsoring Body Representative will receive the scholarship award letter along with a packet to be completed and returned before the funds are disbursed to the Oversight Body.
- Funds are disbursed only to the sponsoring body, who is responsible for disbursing the funds to the scholarship awardee.
What happens if a seminary scholarship award approved nominee changes Nominating/Sponsoring Body?
- If monies have not yet been disbursed for an approved nominee and he changes oversight bodies, his/her new Nominating/Sponsoring Body must restart the application process.
- If the application deadline has passed before the change was made, the matter will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The PCA Unity Fund Committee Chairman